Warning Signs Your Furnace Needs to be Repaired This Winter
When was the last time you serviced your furnace? Many people might have a hard time answering that question...or the answer might be never! Yikes!
Unfortunately, it's often overlooked that you actually need to regularly maintain your furnace to prevent it form breaking down, and to extend it's lifespan, which will help you avoid having to invest in a new one prematurely. The average lifespan of a furnace is about 15 years, but neglect it and you might find yourself buying a new one sooner than that. Not to mention an inefficient or poorly maintained furnace is not only costly, but can be dangerous too.
Luckily, by taking care of your furnace and completing repairs in a timely fashion, you can help maximize it's lifespan and avoid stressful mid-winter breakdowns. Watch out for these common warning signs your furnace needs to be repaired so you can catch any problems before they escalate. If you recognize any of these warning signs, give us a call at (734) 326-3900 and we'll help you out!
Plus, you can get ahead of the game by scheduling your annual furnace inspection at our special seasonal price! Schedule online or give us a call today!
Warning Signs Your Furnace Needs to be repaired this winter
- Furnace isn't working at all – This one is obvious. If your furnace isn't working at all, we can help fix it or let you know if it needs to be replaced.
- Furnace is cycling on and off – There can by many reasons why your furnace keeps running, but if it's over cycling we need to figure out if the issue is being caused by a clogged air filter, improper air circulation, or thermostat problems so that we can maintain its efficiency for years to come.
- Leaking water or pooling water around furnace – Give us a call if you notice water leaking or pooling around your furnace. One of our technicians will inspect your system and lines to identify and repair the issue.
- You smell gas – While a water leak is bad, a gas leak is worse, and extremely dangerous! If you are smelling gas you need to take action immediately by shutting off your furnace, and turning the gas supply off. Don't light any matches or turn on any lights, and give us a call right away so we can help resolve the situation asap to keep you and your family safe!
- Strange noises – This is one of the most common warning signs that you need to have your furnace repaired. Don't overlook the thumps or bangs, call Technical Hot & Cold at (734) 326-3900 and one of our technicians can diagnose what's causing the noises so your system can be repaired.
- Air blows weakly or not at all – If it seems like barely any air is coming out of your vents, this can be an indication of a technical problem with your system. Our techs are experts at identifying whether its your fans, belts, motors, or something else causing the issue.
- Blows cold air – We all know that this isn't good since your furnace should be producing warm air. The cold air could be indicating a problem with the thermocouple or pilot light – either way our technicians are specialized in repairing these complex components.
- Thermostat stops working or is inconsistent - Whether you're constantly adjusting the temperature, don't have consistent heat between rooms, or it seems like you keep having to increase the temperature to keep your house warm, problems with your thermostat are a sign your furnace needs repair or that an outdated thermostat could be the root of your problem. Check out these 8 reasons why you need a programmable thermostat.
- High or rising utility bills – If you haven't increased your usage, but your utility bills have skyrocketed, there's a good chance there's an issue with your HVAC system, whether it be your furnace or ductwork. We can help you resolve the issue and alleviate continuously rising bills.
- Yellow burner flame – Do not look past this important warning sign! If you notice that your furnace's burner flame is yellow, give us a call immediately! This could be an indication that your furnace is creating poisonous carbon monoxide. If you don't already, make sure to also install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Furnace's age is showing its wear – If your furnace is nearing 10-15 years old, you'll likely start to notice that it isn't performing like it used to. Make sure to keep a close eye on these changes in performance so that with the proper continued maintenance you can hopefully earn a few more years out of it.
- Multiple furnace repairs over the last 2 years – As your furnace gets older you may notice that more and more repairs are needed more often, especially in the last 2 years of its life. If your repairs are becoming more often, we can help you plan or prepare for an upgrade.
- Home becoming dry & dusty – Stuffy, stale, dry air and frequent dust accumulation are signs that your furnace isn't doing it's job to clean and keep the air in your home moist. While this may seem like a comfort preference it can be the root of other issues if you suffer from allergies or dry skin. Technical Hot & Cold can inspect your system and provide advice on servicing your furnace or installing a humidifier to provide you and your family with clean air and a comfortable home.
While some of these warning signs your furnace needs to be repaired are more minor than others, keep these in mind this winter so that you can catch any problems with your system early on before they escalate into more costly repairs. And if it's been a few years since you've had your system inspected, make sure to schedule your annual furnace inspection at our special seasonal price! If you have any questions at all, please give us a call at (734) 326-3900.